Tuesday 19 May 2015

KEY BLOG POST #3


NEW DISCOVERIES, WIDER UNDERSTANDING, COLLABORATIVE WORK, CHOICES AND FUTURE AMBITIONS

During my time in Unit X I have come across a lot of new discoveries that have helped me to see my practice in a different way. I discovered concepts in art that I have grown to admire. I never looked at all the types of art Fine Art could offer because I was too busy with painting and paper cutting art and this unit had helped me to see beyond 'safe' options in art and that art should be very open and 'out of the box'. I was never into performance art at all, but during the workshop planning I was almost pulled into the concept and I started reading up on artists that created such art. Artists such as Jackson Pollock and Naomi Kendrick I had heard of before but never really researched what they did but I really liked their work. 

When we started off we had some ideas about what we wanted to do in our workshop and we made a small mind map of all our ideas together at the school on the last of placement.


(Image above) First ideas of where the workshop started.

The collaborative aspect of this unit is really an eye opener to all kinds of ideas, working with students from different disciplines has helped me see art in a different way even when we were planning in the first stages there were some concepts that I didn't like such as splitting the students up into groups but later on I adapted to the idea and on the workshop day it was one of our strongest points. 

However after planning for the workshop we soon came to a decision that we wanted our workshop to be about mark making and the art of making mistakes and once we had got this idea we all put in our efforts to make this day very eventful and informative. I think our group was really good together and we were able to get everything we needed for the workshop, everyone cooperated with each other and we had all the materials we needed. 


(Image above) Mainly from the morning session.

(Image above) Mainly from afternoon session.

At some points in the day especially in the afternoon when we were experiencing some problems with games structure I felt as though one member kept keeping a distance while the rest of the group was trying to hold it together, no one was assigned to anything in the afternoon except for one member which was for time keeping the rest were meant to be helping with the activities but this member kept their distance. However, we soon resolved the issues and carried on with the activities. If I was to improve on something it would have definitely been the afternoon time management and activity management I feel as though the lack of attention for the afternoon session gave us a poor result. Whereas the morning session went very smoothly and all the activities very greatly time managed and eventful. To improve on this workshop I would suggest we should have had another thorough run through. 

I feel as though our choice in doing this workshop was really great. The materials we provided were good. However, I feel as though some of the students still didn't fully understand the idea of mark making in the sense we wanted them to. I feel as though our research was correct but we could have told the students about it in simpler terms so they understood it better. As far as the mark making tools went the students really enjoyed making the tools and using them the way they liked to. We had made evaluation sheets for them to fill out at the end with the concept "two stars and a wish" meaning two things they liked and one thing they can improve on. after reading the evaluation sheets I realised the students really enjoyed their day although the one negative comment was that the boiler suits were very thin and paint soaked through.

During this unit the key motivation I got was when Claire showed the whole class all the different types of jobs I could go into after I graduate and that it doesn't only have to be teaching Also, the most important was when I worked alongside some of the students to suggest artists and help them manipulate photographs for their sketchbook, I found myself really enjoying myself helping the students with their work. I have always wanted to be a teacher and all aspects of this unit has just motivated me to carry on in the path to become a teacher. 


(Image above) All Unit X group with the students at DACA.

(Image above) Final outcome exhibited at Federation House, Manchester.

No comments:

Post a Comment