Tuesday 6 May 2014

RESEARCH


RESEARCH

The key point to this unit of my work is papercutting art. When I first started paper cutting, there were only a few ways I thought I could cut paper without it ripping. However, after some research I have discovered there are many different methods artists have used to create papercuts and I have also learnt that papercutting art can show how fragile a piece of paper can become before it eventually rips apart.

I have chosen the theme The Everyday to base my work on. I think the points that have greatly influenced my ideas are journeys, the people we meet and the places that we see on those journeys; sometimes you meet the same people and sometimes you meet different people. Where as the places you see on one journey stay the same and that I think is the basic ‘everyday’ of life. I will be focusing on the places I visit for this unit and try and make my work with this idea.

ARTISTS 

While researching I came across an artist couple Harikrishnan Panicker (Hari) and Deepti Nair. They believe that:

“Paper is brutal in its simplicity as a medium. It demands the attention of the artist while it provides the softness they need to mold it in to something beautiful. It is playful, light, colorless and colorful. It is minimal and intricate. It reflects light, creates depth and illusions in a way that it takes the artist through a journey with limitless possibilities.” 

After reading this statement I was drawn more and more into their work because I even think that paper alone can be used to create something amazing even though it becomes fragile. They bring stories they have read to life through papercutting.


Spirit of the Forest


Tree of Life

The element of their work that I appreciate most is the layering of paper. This is an idea that I want to carry out and by looking at their work it seems even more interesting. Also in my work I am looking at my everyday journey that is from home to university and to bring this to life I will be making a layered paper-cut of 3-4 pieces showing the places I see on the journey.

Another artist I came across is actually a student who also has an interest in papercutting. Myriam Dion is a French-Canadian student who is also a paper artist. Dion cuts into newspaper. 
The reason she transforms newspaper to these fragile art pieces is 

"to find a new use for print media in the process of its disappearance" she says. 



(Left) Le Devoir, Les samedi 4 et dimanche 5 mai 2013
(Right) Financial Times / Saturday August 3, Sunday August 4, 2013, USA


7 April 2012 Exhibition

In a way I realised the more fragile the paper goes it is more interesting to look at. This artist has inspired me to be more intricate with my paper-cuts to make them better.


I will continue to explore the art of papercutting and possibly try to show more fragility of the paper because this will enhance the texture and image being created. The layering technique will help bring everything out in my opinion, the images that I will be taking of the places I see on my journey will be made into papercuts and layered to show a story almost of my everyday journey. 






Links:
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2013/oct/13/myriam-dion-art-newspapers 
http://www.theblackbookgallery.com/artists/hari-deepti/
http://www.myriamdion.com/#!journaux/aboutPage

No comments:

Post a Comment