Friday 27 March 2015

DARWEN ALDRIDGE COMMUNITY ACADEMY (DACA) #1


PLACEMENT DAY 1

On the first day of placement there wasn't too much getting involved in teaching but more shadowing the classes I was put into. In the previous session at university I had decided that I will be focusing on how the teacher uses their voice to control the class and how the students respond to their voice tone. 

Morning Session
However, in the first session this was almost impossible to record because I was put into a year 13 (A2 LEVEL) Textiles class and there were only 3 students present because the rest were out doing their Art exam. So this session was very quiet and ran quite smoothly. The students who were present knew what they were doing. But we were told to try and help them with patterns for designing and maybe make our own sketches/mood boards.

(Images above) My drawings from the morning textiles session.

Afternoon Session
In the afternoon session I was shadowing a year 9 Art class which was a full class so I had a chance to record and focus on different voice tones of the teacher and see how the students respond to it. 


(Image above) Students work from their art lesson.

I realised the tutor would just stop talking if any students were not listening and then the students would realise and stop talking and then the tutor would carry on. I saw this technique work a few times but towards the end of the lesson it didn't and then the tutor started taking time of the students' lunch times and I think that worked more because the there were very few distractions after that and the lesson ran quite smoothly. One aspect of the lesson I really liked was at the end of the lesson the tutor would give all the students an image each of the thumbs up button on Facebook and they would have a few minutes to go around and put it next to the one they really liked and say why, I think this was great to see them do because they could all pick out good aspects from each others work.
(Image above) Notes from the day and visitor badge for the day.

Overall, the first day went quite well and helped me get the feel of being back at high school. I learnt quite a few techniques to how I could manage a big class and a small class of students. Also, I think the thing that got to me was the break times and how short they were, whereas at university we have the privilege of going for a break/lunch at anytime being at the school on a tight schedule was something very interesting to also get used to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment