Friday 27 March 2015

DARWEN ALDRIDGE COMMUNITY ACADEMY (DACA) #5


PLACEMENT DAY 5

 On the fifth day on the placement in the morning session I worked with a student in year 10 on photography work and in the afternoon session the full Unit X group worked with the year 7 Textiles class and we were assigned to two students each to help them work on their sock puppets together. Also the tutor in the afternoon session told us all to take turns in taking over the class for up to 10 minutes to get us in the feel of teaching and engaging with the class.

Morning Session
In the morning session at first there wasn't much for me to do because the students already knew what they were working on and what they need to do. But after break, I was assigned to one photography student to help look through the powerpoint the student had made as part of their coursework. I helped the student with sentence structure and image layout for the powerpoint. While I was helping the student I spoke to them about artist research and where they get their research from, I was told that they get all their research from the internet or they have already been given a list to look through. I realised that how different it was for us and for those in high school, we find all the information ourselves, read up on it and see what we would want to use but it was different for them.

Afternoon Session
In the afternoon session the unit X group were working with year 7 textiles class. We were assigned to two student each to help them with their sock puppets. I was assigned to two students where one had done most of their puppet but the other needed more help and so I helped the students sew the parts on together. It was a lot of fun to work with the year 7 class and I felt good helping the students and engaging with them during this session.


(Images above) Start and finished stages of the sock puppets.

(Image above) The students making the sock puppets and adding accessories.

During this session the tutor told us unit X students to take in turns to take over the class for at least 10 minutes and told us to come up with either games or the tutor has told us to do something. The job the tutor assigned to me was to show the students their pictures of the light boxes they had made and when they had used them on the day of the solar eclipse. I did a countdown from 5 to get their attention and they quickly calmed down and listened and then I told them that I will be showing them the pictures from the day (image below) and proceeded to show them on the smart board on big screen.

(Image above) A picture from them all that I had shown them on the big board. 

(Image above) Notes from the day and visitor badge for the day.

Overall, this day went well and I was able to learn how to teach students younger and older on a one-to-one basis and I really enjoyed this. The key aspect that stuck out was when we were told to takeover for a bit during the textiles lesson, I really liked that because I was able to feel in control of a full class for the first time and I was giving the instructions which the students followed in a good manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment