Friday 27 March 2015

DARWEN ALDRIDGE COMMUNITY ACADEMY (DACA) #4


PLACEMENT DAY 4

On the fourth day of placement I worked with an A level art group and I was assigned to a student to give them some tips on how they could improve their sketchbook and add to artwork. In the afternoon session I was shadowing and working with a year 9 art group where they were carrying on with their project from the previous week.

Morning Session 
In the morning session I was working with students in A Level art. We were showed some work the students had done first and there was particular one that the tutor showed us (image below) that caught our attention because there was a story to it. This work was about politics and the things that have happened in Darwen in particular. We were told a story that happened many many years ago when Gandhi was called to Darwen to look in the mill (image below), it was about poverty and lifestyle. It was interesting to know about this and it let us look deeper into the work and engage with the student.

(Image above) Work by student and Mill near the school.

After this I was assigned to a student to help her with sketchbook work and help develop her artwork. During this session I found myself suggesting many artists that related to her work and this made me realise that I do have the ability to look at a piece of art and suggest appropriate artists to help them and so this session was very fun and I was able to engage in what I was told to do and help the student.

(Image above) Students artwork and the artists and tips I wrote on post-it notes to help with sketchbook work.

Afternoon Session
In the afternoon session I was with a year 9 art group, the students were carrying on with the projects that they had done previously so it was a calm session everyone what they were doing and we also got involved and spoke to some of the students about GCSE options and choosing art as a subject to which we got some interesting responses. Also during this class the tutor would get them around a table to tell them the next stages of their work before they started so the tutor would demonstrate what was to be done and then they would go to their tables and do it. 

(Image above) Students around a table listening to the tutor and watching what to do next. 

(Images above) The work made by students on my table.

While the tutor let the students get on with their work, he spoke to us (students on Unit X) about PGCE and ways to get a job at the school. He even got out the workload (image below) and showed us what is required on the course. At this point I became nervous about being a teacher because he was telling us the statistics of being a art teacher and the process, but this talk with the tutor helped me and the other students understand more of what we are going to do in the future.

(Image above) Tutors work that was done during PGCE Course.

(Images above) Notes from the day, visitor badge from the day and an unfinished illustration I had done while the students wet getting on with their work.

Overall, the day was very informative and quite relaxed as most of the day the students knew what they were doing. However, it was nice to see the big difference between a higher level art class and a lower level art class from the work they made you could see the control there was in the lower level and the sense of 'freedom' they had in the higher levels. Also, it was nice to get an insight from a qualified tutor that had done the PGCE course of what it is like and what is to be expected. This day has made me more confident about being a tutor although I did get a little nervous when we were being told about the course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment